HISTORY OF IGUAPE

Iguape was founded in 1538, and enchants for its beauty and tranquility, keeping an immense historical, cultural and environmental wealth. Its history is intertwined with the colonization of Brazil, at the beginning of the 16th century. It has the largest preserved colonial houses in the state of São Paulo and its architecture and urbanism are characterized by simplicity, with most of the buildings installed in the front alignment of the lots, semi-detached, single storey, built in stone and lime and with gable roofs. The city has its urban complex listed by CONDEPHAAT and its Historical Center is the first urban complex in the state of São Paulo to be protected by IPHAN, as a Cultural Landscape. The city is located between important geographic landmarks in the region, such as the Morro do Espia (Espia Hill), the Canal do Valo Grande and the strait called Mar Pequeno. The city also offers a diversity of natural beauty with beaches, rivers, trails and many traditional communities.

MAIN ATTRACTIONS

Centro Histórico (Historical Center)

Iguape has the largest number of historical buildings protected by CONDEPHAAT and its Historical Center is the first urban complex in the state of São Paulo to be protected by IPHAN, as a Cultural Landscape. The urban center of Iguape is among the best preserved historical centers of São Paulo, with architecture and urbanism capable of telling its trajectory, and that date back to the period of gold exploration and the conquests of the territory in the 16th century, to activities related to shipbuilding in the 18th century and rice cultivation in the 19th century.


Museu Municipal (Municipal Museum)

The Museum is situated in the building that housed the first Gold Foundry House in Brazil, in the 17th century, and which after its closing also served as barracks, Town Hall and Prison. In 1969, the space started to be used with the purpose of becoming a museum and began to house an exhibition with a core of pieces composed of ancient and varied objects. In 1989, it received the first museological plan and was reopened with an exhibition of pieces and panels on the history of the men of the sambaquis. In 2014, the building underwent a new renovation and now serves as an exhibition space, while it awaits the completion of the new museological plan.

Basílica do Senhor Bom Jesus de Iguape

Catholic temple, built in stone, mortar and whale-oil, by slave labor, between the 18th and 19th centuries. Its works began in 1787, and the church was inaugurated, still unfinished, on August 8, 1858. Inside it houses important sacred images such as Nossa Senhora das Neves, patron saint of the city, and that of Senhor Bom Jesus de Iguape. In 1956, in the year of its centennial, the Senhor Bom Jesus de Iguape Church was elevated to the category of Basilica.

Largo da Praça de São Benedito

It was known as the Pátio das Casinhas, a public place named after the straw-covered mud buildings that were built around it. In 1876, it was renamed Largo de São Francisco, when the public fountain was installed there, which was recently revitalized. The square has important properties listed by CONDEPHAAT and IPHAN, such as the Church of São Benedito, the imposing Sobrado dos Toledos and the recently restored Correio Velho (Old PostOffice) building, as well as houses that still portray the period of colonial Brazil.


Fonte do Senhor (Fountain of the Lord)

The fountain is a tourist spot on the slopes of Morro do Espia, it has a large leisure area with bathrooms, gardens, a pond, a beautiful fountain, swimming pool and several points with natural spouts that descend from the slopes. In the place where the image of Senhor Bom Jesus de Iguape was washed, a grotto was built in 1737. In 1949, Oswald de Andrade and the French-Algerian writer Albert Camus, visiting Iguape, visited the fountain and Camus' impressions were the inspiration for the short story The Growing Stone, included in his book Exile and The Kingdom.

Fonte da Saudade

The fountain is located at the foot of Morro do Espia, near the Iguape´s ICMBio headquarters, was built with stone and lime walls in 1843, and served the people as one of the alternatives for the supply of drinking water, washing clothes, and a place of leisure of the Iguape society. The place is an important tourist pole and leisure area and has many legends. The best-known legend is that of the Indian woman Porangaba (beauty and prettiness) and her father Turuçuçaba (value and greatness), rescued by the Iguape historian, Waldemiro Fortes (1873-1932). The site was revitalized in 2020, and is the starting point for the trail to the Fonte da Saudade

Estuário Lagamar

Listed by UNESCO as a Natural Heritage of Humanity, considered one of the greatest nurseries of marine life on the planet, Lagamar is a gigantic estuary surrounded by the longest continuous stretch of Mata Atlântica (Atlantic Forest) in Brazil, linking the two extremes, Paraná and São Paulo, with a series of channels that wind through a beautiful mangrove swamp; which starts in Iguape-SP, and continues to Paranaguá-PR. The sea water, which penetrates through the channels, receives fresh water from hundreds of rivers that originate in the Serra do Mar, surrounding the entire set, and forming brackish water. The entire length of Lagamar is very popular for excursions and fishing.

Mirante do Cristo (Christ's Belvedere)

With more than 80 meters (262.46 feet) of altitude, in a privileged location, the Mirante do Cristo is located in Morro do Espia, an area covered by undergrowth of grass. The attraction is one of the most visited in the city, as it has a panoramic view of the Historical Center of Iguape, the Lagamar Estuary, Ilha Comprida and the Canal do Valo Grande and, with clear sky, it is possible to observe the Ilha do Cardoso in Cananeia. It is one of the starting points for the trails of the Municipal Park of Morro do Espia.


Toca do Bugio (Howler Monkey Lair)

A natural paradise with a beautiful view of the Mar Pequeno, perfect for those looking for peace and quiet. The place has a kiosk with restrooms, indoor and outdoor space where meals, drinks and various fish snacks and other types of snacks are served throughout the day. Next to it, there is a playground, a large lawn with benches and tables and ample space on the shores of the Mar Pequeno where fishing lovers can spend the day fishing to the sound of birds and the fresh breeze that comes from the sea. The sunset is a spectacle in its own right and can be enjoyed from the lawn on the edge of Mar Pequeno.


Outeiro do Bacharel (Bachelor's Hill)

Located in Vila do Icapara, 12 km (7.46 miles) from the Historical Center with access by paved road. It is a beautiful elevation covered by grassy undergrowth. It has a trail of approximately 1 km (0.62 mile), from the road to the peak, where there was an abandoned lighthouse that was used to signal vessels entering the Mar Pequeno. From there, you can see Barra do Icapara, the meeting of the Ribeira de Iguape River with the Atlantic Ocean, Ilha Comprida, Maciço da Jureia and associated ecosystems, such as restinga, mangrove swamps and the Atlantic Forest.

Praia da Jureia (Jureia beach)

Praia da Jureia is located in the Barra do Ribeira district, 18 km (11.18 miles) from the city center. Access is via paved road and a ferry boat is used to cross to the neighborhood. The highlight of the beach is its bathing ability, which has been suitable for bathing for many years. The beach is quiet, very popular for surfing and with many artisanal fishermen living along its 19 km (11.81 miles). Continuing along the beach, we will find the Costão da Jureia, which is the gateway to Jureia-Itatins Ecological Station.

Costão da Jureia (Jureia Coastal)

A nucleus belonging to the Jureia-Itatins Ecological Station, located between Vila do Prelado and the Maçiço da Jureia, it is the gateway to the Trilha do Imperador (Emperor Trail). At the site, at the end of Praia da Jureia, it is possible to observe coastal ecosystems such as dunes, sandbanks and lowland Atlantic Forest, followed by hillside forest in the Jureia mountains. Access to the Costão is limited by the tide table due to the small bars distributed along the way, so it is always very important to get informed before going along the beach.

INFRAESTRUTURA TURÍSTICA IGUAPE

INFRAESTRUTURA TURÍSTICA IGUAPE

HOSTING

FOOD AND BEVERAGE

LOCAL PRODUCTS TABLE

RECEPTIVE TRAVEL AGENCIES

REINVENTANDO TURISMO

Agência de Turismo Receptiva

Telefone: (13) 98108-3074E-mail: reinventandooturismo@gmail.comFacebook: @reinventandooturismoInstagram: @reinventandoturismo
Nº Cadastur: 30.408.867/0001-41

IGUAPÉ ECOTURISMO

Agência de Turismo Receptiva

Telefone: (11) 94769-5512 E-mail: vschleder@hotmail.com Site: www.iguapeturismo.com.br Facebook: @iguapeecoturismo
Nº Cadastur 34.279.434/0001-94

VEM PARA O VALE

Agência de Turismo Receptiva

Telefone: (11) 95047-8176E-mail: contato@vemparaovale.com.brFacebook: @vemparaovaleInstagram: @vemparaovaledoribeira
Nº Cadastur: 40.045.984/0001-41

ACCESS MAP

INTERACT MAPS

TOURIST ATTRACTIONS

HOSTING

SUPPORT STRUCTURES

RESTAURANTS AND SNACKS